In a quest to reclaim some space and my life, I have decided to redo my bedroom. The first thing I did was get rid of the dark green walls. Sage green is NOT my favorite color. A nice celedon green is fine but sage is most definitely not my favorite. So the walls became a lovely Vanilla Ice Cream (Benjamin Moore paint color # 0C-90) with white trim. I used to think that white paint was for wimps but I've changed my mind. This white has just a hint of yellow and is so warm and inviting. What was once a cave is now a huge, beautiful room of my own.
The quest yesterday was the to ding the perfect beside lamps for my newly painted white bedside tables. After my friend Rosy and I went to 10 different Home Goods/T.J. Maxx/Marshall's stores in the Southern New Hampshire area, we finally found these blue green glass lamps. Belive me, I looked at EVERYTHING TWICE before deciding on these puppies. And I think they are JUST RIGHT!
The last item I did yesterday was these valances for the window:
I made them out of hankies that I've been collecting. (I am still deciding on curtains to come underneath. I did buy some sheers but they didn't look right. Back to the store for me.) These were really easy. I did a sleeve with some muslin with an extra piece hanging off about 5 inches or so. I then attached the hankies by simply sewing the top edge onto the muslin. I didn't sew anything else (like the sides or bottom) so they flow free from the fabric. I sewed a second line of hankies under the first. This is an EASY project. You just have to pin the hankies first before sewing.
I placed the next layer a bit under the first. So the valance ended up as two layers of ruffles. The reason I did it this way is that I didn't want to lose the lovely edging on all of the hankies.
Look at those scallops! And tatting! And embroidary. I just couldn't cover it up or lose a single inch of it.
I love my new valances!! And it was so much easier than I thought it would be (and believe me, I am NOT an expert sewer).
Next up: transforming a wooden bed frame into a padded headboard. I have the fabric all ready to go!