Monday, August 20, 2012

Sewing Sunday

I had let my sewing machine sit idle for too long.  I had been drooling over sewing pininerest ideas for months.  School is starting in a week and I was avoiding getting ready.  What is a frustrated crafter to do?  Sew!  So I called the gals and we sat down at my dining room table with three sewing machines, glasses of soda, and got to it.  The funny thing is that I hadn't realized how much I missed it until I started doing it.  Writing has been wonderful but there is something so rewarding about sitting down to a project where you use your hands to create it and it is done in an evening.  I love looking at my projects and saying, "I did that." And this is what I did:

1. I turned t-shirts into summer/spring cardigans.  I wasn't going to wear these t-shirts but cardigans! What teacher doesn't love her cardigans?  Since we begin teaching at o'dark thiry we have to wear layers.  Basically, I slit the middle of the shirt, created my own binding with cool cordinating fabric and bound the raw edges and along the neckline.  It wasn't very difficult.


2.  I also made a coordinating fabric flower to pin onto the cardigan. I found the directions on a blog to make the flower about two years ago and I have been flower crazy ever since.  Click here for directions if you would like to make your own.  I put my flowers on pin backings in case I wanted to take it off or attach it to a headband (my friend Rosy's idea). 



3.  I made a pillowcase.  We've received numerous pillowcases as gifts over the years and I bought a kit of fabric at the beginning of the summer to give it a try.  One thing about mine is that I forgot that one of my favorite places to buy fabric Marden's tends to cut generously and I didn't check the measurements.  The little border fabric was all off and I ended up with a king sized pillowcase.  So, I cut it a little and "made it work".  I had to blindly follow the directions for the case because it made no logical sense to me.  However, it took me about 20-30 minutes so it obviously worked and there were no tricky steps.  This would be a great beginner project!  I could whip up a bunch in a weekend.  Here is the free pattern: pillow directions

4. I had this kit that I bought at Keepsake Quilting that included the fairy panel, the batting, and the backing. Link for the kit I thought Phoebe would love this as a wall-hanging above her bed.  I'm going to give it to her for her birthday.  I am planning on hand quilting around the fairy (given enought time). She loves strawberries and fairies so I'm hoping she likes it.  What little girl wouldn't?




All of these projects took me an afternoon and evening.  Sometimes it helps if you just have the kit and directions.  After a break, this is definitely how I get back into it whether it's quilting or scrapbooking or crafting.  

Happy Crafting! 

Jill 


No comments:

Post a Comment