Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer Residency


I know, it's been forever and a day since I have blogged.  I almost entirely missed the month of June.  I squeeking this one out, I think.  So what I have I been up to, you ask?  Since starting my MFA in Creative Writing, I have been crazy busy with writing.  When I have spare time between teaching and raising two crazy kids, I write, write, write.  I am attending the Southern New Hampshire University low residency program and so far, it has been EXCELLENT!  And I'm not just saying that.  I was assigned a mentor last semester who read my story and gave me feedback.  Amazingly, I was assigned the incredibly talented writer Wiley Cash who's book Land More Kind Than Home came out in April. It's an amazing book, go out and buy it right now.  And I'm not just saying that because he is my mentor.  It is honestly a really good, compelling book. I barely ever buy books in hardcover (I'm too cheap) and this one is TOTALLY worth it!

The low residency program started at SNHU and then went to Star Island off the coast of NH.  Hardship, right?  Look at the view from the porch above.  So beautiful! We spent lots of time conferencing on our work, having craft sessions with our amazing mentors (successful writers!), and got to listen to wonderful words put together in ways that made me wonder, cry, laugh, and feel a whole range of emotions.

And on top of all that amazingness, we had this kind of view.  My novel takes place on an island off of Maine, and I was so inspired.  

Such an experience!

1 comment: