Monday, January 30, 2012

Phoebe-bird Wings

I keep forgetting to share this incredible project.  I can take no credit for the design, I found the tutorial linked through the Sew, Mama, Sew blog which is the most fantastic sewing blog EVER!  During the month of November they run a pre-Christmas making round up of the most amazing Christmas projects.  For the last few years, I have made over a dozen projects from this month-long extravaganza.  The link to this blog is here if you wanted to check it out.  They have all their tutorials saved under one posting.  This project was from the current year.

Here are Phoebe-bird's rainbow wings (you know how she loves her rainbows):

Crazy enough, this is a no-sew project.  A ton of fusible web, but no sew.  (That means little iron burns on the tops of all my fingers, but still, no sewing.)  Basically, I cut out a scallop shape from a rainbow of fabrics and a strip of fusible web.  I fused the two together and ironed them down to a wing shape.  I sewed elastics to the ends and a ribbon to the top.  One thing I am finding is that I need to make a better harness system for the wings to work properly.  I think I am going to redo the ribbon so that it can be crisscrossed in front of Phoebe's chest and tied in the back.  I also think the inside needs some sort of flashy fabric rather than the plain muslin.  I haven't gotten there yet but here's Phoebebird enjoying the wings just the same. 
A baby bird waiting for her worm. A game we played multiple times this evening.  She said that she didn't like to eat crickets but red peppers were ok. (Phoebe's favorite vegetable.)
The attachment issue.  The wings fall around her waist, so I need to attach them at her neck without strangling her.  A criss-cross maybe?

She likes to flap.  See, doesn't it need some sort of jazzy fabric on the inside too?  I think it does.  Now what might that be?

Go check out Sew, Mama, Sew and their other great projects!  They sell amazing fabric too if you're looking for some.  I haven't been paid to say any of this, but have benefited from their wonderful round-ups of projects over the years. 

Happy crafting!

Jill 



1 comment:

  1. I just posted these on pinterest! Which you know! Because you saw them and told me! I'm amazed and awed and impressed. I was totally absent the day God passed out the crafty gene.

    ReplyDelete