Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bags, Bags, and More Bags


I'm in the middle of midterms right now.  I have approximately 40 exams to grade and 50 or so more coming in on Monday.  Not to mention, I should be planning for what I am teaching next week.  I also have books to read, writing to write, meals to plan and cook, and cleaning to do.  When it gets this overwhelming, I normally find that I need for a few hours to go in the opposite direction.  I need to do something with my hands to quiet the flurry of mental activity.  It sounds odd but executing and finishing a project seems to get me back on track.  Once I can accomplish one task, the other things seem to come in line.

My friend Rosy came over last night and she began scrapbooking.  Even though I have a number of paper projects I could do, I decide to rev up my sewing machine.  I bought Phoebe some adorable dolly fabric this summer and she has been begging me to make something out of it.  She also has needed a dance bag for the tap, ballet shoes, and spare set of tights we bring to dance class on Tuesday nights.

These bags are my go to project.  They are so fast and easy that I whipped out 5 in about 2 hours.  I use the pattern from here except that I have extended the size to a 13 X 13 inch square (the larger part is 7X13, and the bottom is 5X13).  I've made these before- both the mini size and the bigger size.


Once I've made something for Phoebe, I have to make something for Elliot too.  (Those two are in constant competition with each other.) I bought a really cool white and black fabric at Ikea a while back. It has what looks like origami animals in black.  I thought I might use it for a karate bag for Elliot but he wanted a bag for his Skylanders. (If you have a 7-10 year old boy and a game system, you already know what Skylanders are.  Oh boy.) So, I grabbed some of this ocean fabric and made him one too.  Honestly, I don't think the two go together and I'm not totally happy with the results.  I love the heft of the white fabric but the patterned?? So, to complicate matters, I went and bought some deco weight black fabric to make some better looking bags.  I know, I have issues.


Back to the grindstone tomorrow.  

Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment