Monday, May 30, 2011

There is nothing that says National Holiday like....

a little home redo.  Jan and I have this pattern of embarking on big home remodels on national holidays.  So today, Jan demolished our downstairs bathroom which is reminiscent of the labor day that she demo-ed our upstairs bathroom four years ago.  Apparently, the memory of that bathroom remodel has faded and we are it again.  My dad and I retiled the whole upstairs shower and floor by ourselves with grout and powertools.  It was a proud moment for both of us.  We are less ambitious for this one.  We (meaning Jan) are going to remove the tile, a huge bathtub, then drywall, paint, and hopefully bring a washer and dryer to the first floor. Since laundry is our nemisis, we are hoping that being on the first floor it will be easier to get done, rather than having to run down to the basement.  So, my bathroom looks something like this right now:
Frightening, isn't it?

I did a much less invasive craft.  I cleaned the kids' room and made them banners for their beds.  When we had our weekend away and went to Alwives Fabrics, I bought a fabulous banner kit using Heather Ross' mermaid fabric that you can't find anywhere.  It was so cute and easy that I used the Oliver and S Company City Weekend fabric I had left-over from some placemats that I had made (and haven't quite finished yet....ugh) for Elliot's banner.  El was a little disappointed that his banner didn't have more "pictures" but sometimes we have to bring out the family motto, you get what you get and you don't get upset. Here are the results:

Just look at those mermaids swimmin'. The banner looks cute but I need to do new curtains and valences for the bedroom.  Those elephant valences I made when I was pregnant with Elliot seven years ago.  I just can't quite decide what would work for both a girl and boy sharing a room.  And no, I did not make the quilt.  Quilts for the kids is also on the to-do list.  El and Phoebe's wall also showcase their favorite coloring projects.  Sometimes we expand outside the banner in the dining room.  I guess we're just a prolific family. 
Cute, huh?  And yup, did not make this quilt either although I did make the naked sock monkey.  Never got around to clothing him.  I have issues finishing things, I guess.  This is why I made the banners on Saturday night and had them up on Sunday morning.  If I let things linger, they don't always get done.  

Overall, fabulously easy project.  The hardest part was making the binding tape and that isn't very hard.  You could always buy premade binding tape but I had the fabric in front of me. 

And let the summer begin! And please let the bathroom be done before we have to go back to school in August.  Please, please, please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment