Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tabula Rasa or Inspiration Journal Structure

My friend Erika surprised me a package one day.  If there is one thing that I love, it is special mail that you were expecting. To be honest, sometimes I even like junk mail.  She had sent me a Down Downey inspiration journal kit that she thought she was going to do, but never could seem to get around to it.  The kit was super cute so I decided to use my surprise snow day to put it together.  That's another thing I love, suprise snow days!

The book is done to the point that I put the bones together.  However, it is still a blank slate or tabula rasa at this point.  I'm not sure what I'll put on the inside but I am inspired by the title: inspiration journal.

Here is the outside:
The instructions were to use a fabric piece sandwiched with a piece of canvas.  My one complaint is that the cover ends up being quite wiggly as a result rather than stiff.  I had to smooth out the side by the elastic to get it to stay flat.  
The kit came with some lovely brown ribbon with white dots.  However, the directions were a little unclear about how to bind it.  I decided to bind each signature or section with some book-making thread that I had on hand.  That way I could fit the five signatures through the grommit holes.  I also "had" to upgrade to a "Big Bite" because my Crop-a-dile would not reach to make the holes.  I had been eyeing it anyway. 

On the inside of the journal, I used some of the papers in the kit but then added these libraray pockets that I have had forever and ever.  I keep meaning to use them on something but have never found the right project until now.  I think it'll be fun to be able to tuck things into the pocket.  In fact, maybe I'll start using those pockets much more often. 



As you can see, I sewed most of the pieces on.  Mostly because my sewing machine was right there and I've been meaning to do more sewing on my scrapbooking.  Now, I just need to fill it.....



  

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! You are so crafty....I'm so glad I sent it to you :)
    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW That is so cool. Stella (my 6 yr old grand daughter) has been wanted to make a book. Where do you get that book making thread?

    ReplyDelete