Sunday, November 7, 2010

Why?

Why have I not been posting lately?  Why, you ask.  It's not just that life has gotten extra crazy lately because it has.  I've had a tons and tons of school work lately, plus Elliot joined a soccer team, Jan and I have taken up yoga..again, and the school quarter is ending which means everything needs to be done NOW, and not tomorrow or the next day.  However, what is taking up a lot of time is writing a novel for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo).  Whenever I am not doing all the other things that I have to do as a teacher, working mother, and community member, I am staring at the computer screen and trying to come up with something fairly interesting to write.  In fact, I was supposed to write 1,667 words a day but I'm terribly behind.


This year I am extending my novel from last year.  So, each year you are instructed to write 50,000 words which is approximately 160 double spaced pages over the course of a month.  This year, I am adding to the 50,000 words I wrote last year and finishing the novel I started.  I sometimes have trouble finishing projects (which you would know if you have read this blog for any length of time or if you know me).  I have about 5,000 right now.  For some reason, I am finding this much harder than starting fresh.  It's not that I am worrying a lot about the continunity- I can always fix that later, but I have to work within this structure I already set up.  It's feeling a big clunky.  I've ended up doing a lot of staring at the computer screen waiting for the next set of words to arrive.

Well, wish me luck.  I'm only a week in and have 90% of the project left to go.  There may be some late writing nights coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment