Monday, November 29, 2010

NaNoWriMo Success

I have completed my 50,000 words for they year and I am a NaNoWriMo WINNER!!!!  My high school students are completely confused about what being a winner means.  They keep asking, "what do you win?"  I tell them a certificate and the knowledge that I've won.  They look at me like I am confused.  The best prize I've won was Elliot making the family give me a round of applause.  

Here is a some info about my YA novel that I posted on my NaNoWriMo writing page (it looks like you can scroll down to get the whole thing):

Synopsis: Changing Shape
Addy returns to her hometown where she learns that she has inherited not just a family farm but also some unique abilities. Addy learns that the woods not the frightening place that she thought and that things are not always as they seem. Addy's biggest challenges come when she has to figure out the high school social scene.
Excerpt: Changing Shape
The liquid seemed like water at first, cool to my parched tongue. I took a big gulp and swallowed longing for the water like a man in the desert. It was only after my third gulp that I noticed the aftertaste. There was just the slightest medicinal aftertaste that I hadn’t noticed when I was dying of thirst.
My first thought was that I had been given that date rape drug: how gullible, how stupid, how teenage girl. And yet, I wasn’t feeling lethargic or out of it. If anything, I was feeling tingly and alive. I could feel every spark of the fire. I could feel the muscle, bone, and blood in Nate’s arm around me. I could feel each member of the circle linkedto the next like a necklace of pearls; I could feel both the necklace and each individual pearl as something organic, living, and breathing. I was beginning to feel drunk on life. Nate looked at me with those endless brown eyes and I laughed.
“Did you drug me?” I asked afraid of what he was going to say. I didn’t feel drugged but I didn’t feel normal either.
“Let’s just say we un-drugged you.”
“What does that mean?”
“Just watch,” he said and pointed to the fire.
At first, I thought the fire seemed to be dancing with reddish light. Then, I realized that it wasn’t the fire dancing but someone dancing in the fire. A person, a real live human person, was inside the fire. The knowledge hit me like a ton of bricks.
“Nate, get the fire department, ambulance, someone now, please. That person is being burned alive. I can’t….” I tried to move closer to the fire but it was too hot.
Nate laughed at me and I looked at him in horror. How could he be so cruel? Someone was being burned alive and we were sitting here watching. What kind of sick people were they?
I glanced back and I notice that the figure was not writhing in pain as I first thought but doing a sort of dance that involved a lightening fast transformation that seemed to allow the person in the fire to remain unburned. The figure, a boy named Jason that I had vaguely known from elementary school emerged from the fire laughing, ran up the rise, and threw himself in the pool. The pool sizzled for a second as if a boiling object had been placed in it, like Jason for instance, and then settled. Jason came out of the pool buck naked to a thundering applause of every one present. He raised his hands in a victory pose and someone handed him a towel (for which I was thankful).
While Jason was drying off, all heads swiveled to see another figure, a girl this time, in the fire. Her dance was infinitely more graceful than Jason’s and I could almost catch a number of faces that she transformed into. It looked like she transformed into a mother, brother, grandmother, and then repeated the process until she turned into what looked like herself and again ran out of the fire and into the pool to emerge to a thundering applause.
The process continued with three more kids doing the exact same thing. No one looked to have been harmed in the process. The energy around the circle continued as each person put their own spin on the fire walking.



I am done NaNoWriMo for the year and I did it!  Yea haw!  Now I'm on to Christmas crafting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment