Saturday, October 16, 2010

Quinoa Salad with Apples and Walnuts

I have to admit here that I am terribly lame.  One of my students from last year was experimenting with being a vegetarian (along with a cousin who was vegan) and asked me for some recipes.  I promised her that I would bring some in for her and I am so lame that I forgot. (I am not a vegetarian but cook about 90% vegetarian because Jan is.  I eat meat when we go out.)  So, here in public I need to ask Laura to forgive me.  I am thinking that I'll include a vegetarian recipe once a week to make up for my lameness.  Here you go Laura (she especially asked for a recipe with Quinoa):

Quinoa Salad with Apples and Walnuts


Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 Tbls. honey
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 tea salt
3 Tbls. olive oil
1 cup peeled, diced apple
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup scallions
1/2 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
salt and pepper to taste

1.  In a med. saucepan, combine quinoa and water, then bring them to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed.  It will take about 15 minutes.  Transfer the quinoa into a large bowl, stir, and let cool.
2.  In a small bowl, wisk together the honey, lemon juice, and salt. Gradually wisk in the oil until blended.
3.  Add the apple, scallions, raisins, and walnuts to the quinoa and toss the ingredients well.  Add the dressing and toss once more to coat the salad.  Season it with salt and pepper to taste.  Serve at room temperature.
4.  Can be made ahead and refrigerated.

1 comment: