Finally, it was cool enough today to pull out some of my standard fall recipes and begin to think about fall cooking. This is my favorite time of year to cook. It's cool, the vegetables are abundant, and the flavors are earthy and intense. Here is the recipe for the soup of day in the Dater- Roberts house.
(Vegetarian, but not vegan) Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque for the Crockpot
1 medium butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded, and cut into 1" chunks
1 med. onion
1 can or box of veggie broth
3 medium apples, peeled, de-seeded, and cut into 1" chunks
1/2 tea ginger
1/4-1/2 tea salt
1 cup sour cream
1. Mix all ingredients EXCEPT sour cream in the crockpot
2. Cover and cook on high for 3-5 hours (until both the squash and apples are soft when pierced).
3. When cooked, use either a blender wand in the crockpot to puree the contents or blend in blender in batches. Blend until the whole pot is smooth and uniform.
4. Stir in sour cream. Cook on low for another 15 min or until heated enought to eat. Do not overheat because the sour cream will start to break down if over cooked.
5. Adjust salt if needed. Eat