Sunday, May 9, 2010

Making Mexican with Mom

Mom came over this week to help out while I was recovering from adenoid surgery. By Friday, I was feeling a little better and we decided to try our hand at making corn tortillas and by hand and then tostadas (another two Moosewood recipes).  Thank goodness that she was here because she was a pro at rolling the corn dough.  Before my mom went back to teaching (she teaches ELL now), she was a potter.  My mom and I went to craft fairs and sold her pottery all around New Hampshire (and occassionally Mass, Maine, and Vermont).  While she was kneading the dough, she reminded me that it felt the same as kneading clay.  I suppose that being crafty and working with our hands is a family trait.  Surgery isn't something that you would want to have, but it let me spend some uninturpted time with my mom  and that was a great thing. If you have a chance, spend some time with your mom.  It's a better gift than chocolates or flowers.

Here are some pictures of our Mexican cooking extravanganza.  I couldn't resist snapping a few pictures:

Rolling out the corn tortilla dough





12 tortillas dough balls ready to be friend



The tostada that we made with the tortillas

2 comments:

  1. YUM!! YUM!! I love your moms hands....she looks like she's a potter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! What could be better than homemade tortillas!

    ReplyDelete