Sunday, March 21, 2010

You should have bought it, when you saw it at _________________.


If you know how to anwer this jiggle, then I know you know what I am talking about.  If you don't, then the answer is "Marden's".  Marden's is what I would consider shopping bliss.  Some people are shopping folks who like complete organization.  They like to walk into a store and go to the exact section and find the item and then run to the cashier, pay, and leave.  I live with this kind of shopper (Jan).  I am NOT this kind of shopper.  If you are the kind of shopper who likes to dive head first into a cardboard box labled "Fill a bag for a $1.00" and spend twenty minutes with remenants of fabric and chit chat with the other sewer next to you debating if this remenant would look good on her cushions on her porch, then Marden's is for you.  I am the second kind of shopper.  Marden's is not only a treasure hunters paradise, but also a social experience.  Among the dusty shelves and piles of junk, there are always treasures!  And if it's not a treasure, then it's the thing you didn't know that you really needed, but really do.  Don't expect to get in and out of Marden's in 20 minutes, it is a hour minimum.  (Just ask Jan who was sitting in the car with the two sleeping kids and her i-pod.  Better yet, don't ask her because it's still a sore subject.)

The way Marden's works is that it buys up stock from various other stores when they have some sort of disaster or go out of business as a lot and then sell the stuff at a deep discount.  It's like Big Lots in this way.  When there has been some sort of disaster, Marden's normally swoops in.  For example, after September 11th, we found expensive designer baby clothes, after Katrina, sequined party dresses, and last month designer boys clothes for my son.  It totally cracks me up that my son is playing in the mud in designer duds that we bought for $5.00.  You really never know what'll you'll find at Marden's but you'll never find it again after you see it the first time. Trust me, I've tried to go back for things and you really should have "bought it, when you saw it".

Marden's is about 20 minutes from my parent's house in Sanford, Maine and about an hour (or so) from mine.  So, I can't just pop over to Marden's and I normally go to or from a visit to my parents.  They have an AMAZING fabric department that is the main reason why I can't get in and out of Marden's quickly. Today, after diving through the fill a bag for $1.00 bin, I focused on flannel for the quilt I am going to make for our living room (all 9 yards cost about $30- yes, most fabrics are $2.99/yard).  I made one for Jan a few years ago and we all fight about who gets to sit under it.  I also found TONS of stuff for the kids for Easter including some candy, cute felt baskets, lined crocks for Phoebe, and a few little toys.  Not to mention, a big frying pan that I have needed since beginning to cook big meals that I've been freezing (see below- a $70 frying pan for $20).  I feel slightly guilty for spending money (and after watch "No Impact Man") but I was going to buy these things anyway.... most likely.


1 comment:

  1. OMG- I love Marden's too!! I go whenever we visit Jason's mom. It's so awesome!!

    I'm just now catching up on your blog.
    I'm so glad you can hear now :)

    ReplyDelete