Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Smell of Moosewood


What I learned last night is that salad dressing is actually rather easy to make.  Why do I buy pre-made salad dressing?  It doesn't really taste that good.  Fresh salad dressing is lovely and fresh and tingly and smells SO GOOD.  This may be totally and completly obvious to you because you make your own salad dressing all the time, but I don't.  It is easier to buy a bottle and be done with it, I agree but the difference, the difference.  On the negative side, I probably used more than a serving.  Of course, is eating a ton of salad really an issue?  Hmmm....

Also on the topic of smells, while doing Moosewood our house has begun to smell a bit like an ethnic restaurant. The problem is that there is no hood over the stove so that anything I cook goes right into the air.  My students have begun to notice. When I made falafal the other week, the students all were commenting that it smelled like fried food.  I realized that it was my jacket that hangs in the kitchen.  There is not much I can do about this ut it's funny.  I have these visions of being the "smelly" teacher.  You know, like the one you had in high school that smelled like coffee and cigarettes and had stained teeth.  Oh, that was me.  Maybe you didn't have one of those.

I'm not sure what is on the docket for this weekend but I've been pouring over the cookbook.  I'll definitely be eating more salad with that yummy dressing!  Oh wonderful!

1 comment:

  1. Today I went into a cooking jag and made ratatouie (sp) and a pound cake and chicken maribella is in its marinade for tomorrow. I don't know if I was just hungry or tired of winter foods. We had the ratatouie over sphgetti for supper and grated parmasian (sp) on top and it was yummy.
    See ---your mom can cook!

    ReplyDelete